Monday, October 19, 2009

How 'green' are my new knickers?

As I wore my new knickers for the first time last week a few questions on how 'green' they are occured to me.

Firstly, the organic cotton undies from Target proudly displayed a sticker saying 'Australian Made Fabric'. Inside the undies the label says 'Made in China from Australian Fabric'. Potentially there are a lot of fuel miles in my undies. I'd like to contact Target to find out where the organic cotton came from to be made in into fabric in Australia before going to China to be cut and sewn up, but it isn't easy to contact Target via their website. I might have to write an old fashioned letter.

Secondly, should organic cotton have a certification? Like organic food does? The tag telling me they were organic was attached to the hanger which I didn't get to keep, so I'm not sure if it included any info on that. I'll have to go back to the shop to find out.

Thirdly, I was so focussed on the fabric, I didn't think about the dyes used and their potential environmental and health effects. This issue would apply to any clothing item, however, in order of importance you can't get much closer to your skin than your underwear. More research required for this one.

Anyway, all the knickers have held up well for their first wear. I can't get over how how soft the bamboo is. I think they are my favourites.

1 comment:

charlie caaling said...

Yes the certification should be attached to the product or listed on their website. The most important/most recognized organic cotton certifications are - the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS), the UK Soil Association Organic Standard (includes sustainability requirements) and the Oeko-Tex Standard 100 (very specific testing to detect any chemical usage).

Generally you should only trust a product with all three by GOTS and the Oeko-Tex should be enough. Hope that helps!